What's in 100% fruit juice?

100% fruit juice is simply fruit that has been juiced. Like whole fruit, it naturally contains around 10% sugars while the remaining 90% is made up of water, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients – all of which come straight from the whole fruit from which it is squeezed.1,2

Take a look at the various components of fruit juice to find out more.

Nutritional facts

Interesting points about 100% fruit juice’s nutritional benefits, all from referenced research

Read more

Nutritional profile

Juices naturally contain around 10% sugars, and the remaining 90% is water, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients. [1]

The exact vitamins, minerals and nutrients in fruit juices vary, depending on the whole fruit from which they’re made; for example, 100% orange juice is a rich source of vitamin C and also contains nutrients including folate and potassium, plus smaller amounts of many others.[1]

Click on the topics below to read more about what makes up the nutritional profile of 100% fruit juice. To learn more about orange juice in particular, see our factsheet “Nutritional Profile of 100% Orange Juice”.


[1] UK Department of Health. Nutrient analysis of fruit and vegetables. Available at:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/167942/Nutrient_analysis_of_fruit_and_vegetables_-_Summary_Report.pdf [Last accessed 8 February 2017]

Read more

Myth busting

Often people are given conflicting or misleading information in the media about fruit juices. We’ve looked at the science to explain some of the most common misconceptions.

Read more

Nutritional profile

Carbohydrates and sugars
Carbohydrates and sugars in 100% fruit juice

The carbohydrates in 100% fruit juice, including the sugars, are naturally occurring and come from the whole fruit from which it is squeezed.1

Read more

Vitamins and minerals
Vitamins and minerals in 100% fruit juice

When  the juice inside whole fruit is squeezed or pressed  out of the fruit, the nutrients in that juice are squeezed out too. The vitamins and minerals in 100% juice contribute towards a healthy balanced diet.1

Read more

What are phytonutrients?

Ninety percent of fruit juice is made up of water, vitamins (e.g. vitamin C), minerals and phytonutrients.1 Phytonutrients are plant compounds (naturally occurring substances) found in fruit and fruit juices. How they work is not yet completely understood.

Read more

Need more information?

Head to our contact page to get in touch with the team at Fruit Juice Matters.

Contact us